Monday, August 30, 2010

Your Everything.

Everything.
It means something different to everyone.
Think about it. Think about your everything. What does it consist of? Relationships; material possessions; the things you've seen, heard; the things in your life that you can touch and feel; the things that you can feel but can't physically touch...all of the above? What is your everything?

To be completely honest I often forget what mine is...

But whatever you consider your everything, think about what it'd be like without any of it. What it'd be like to have it, all right there within your grasp, and then wake up and it all be gone. What it'd be like to run out of time.
All the years, days, minutes you had with what's important to you, suddenly gone. Wasted. Insignificant.
Scary? Depressing? Alarming?

Then, the ironic thing is, we almost always blame it God. Whatever form of time shortage we experience; whatever degree of goodbye.
But, He's the one who gave us everything in the first place. We get angry with Him for taking the things we believe are ours away, when none of them were really ours to claim at all.
Without God we'd have nothing. And yet we commonly believe that without Him we'd somehow have more.

It's confusing sometimes. It really is..
Difficult to look past our pride and realize we only have to give up something to have our everything.

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He won't leave you or forsake you. (1 Chronicles 28:20)

1 comment:

  1. Wow... great question. Very deep. Now you're makin' me think too much lol.
    I suppose the correct answer would be God... but I'm not sure I can say with certainty that God is my everything... but at the same time I can't really imagine my life without Him. There have been times when I lost much and was on the verge of losing everything; strangely, it was at that time that I never questioned my faith in God.
    I like the verse, very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete